Sunday, October 7, 2012

Revision


My first semester at La Guardia Community College was very nerve wracking because I wanted to do well in all of my classes.  My courses were Statistics, Painting, Introduction to Language, Cultural Anthropology and Music for Children.  My first thoughts of my classes were ‘OMG I hope I get a good grade on Statistics and Painting’.  I was very worried for my painting class because I am not comfortable expressing myself.  Part of that feeling was because I lack creativity. I haven’t found a way to express myself fully and that is my biggest challenge. Yet there was a course that opened up my mind and eyes and discovered that it was what I was interested in. Introduction to Language was an eye-opener for me.  A lot of students like a class because of the professor or the type of classmates they get, but for me it was the contrary.  I really enjoyed learning about language and the science behind it.

 For hundreds of years humans have been able to communicate to one another through words and sounds.  I became engaged once the Professor started to lecture about being able to produce sounds and how we acquire language.  It instantly became my favorite class.  The Professor also helped because she was very careful in delivering the information step by step and making it entertaining to the students.  She would apply every-day word and new words that this generation would create and make us understand that, that is the process of language and that language is always evolving.  I remember the time where the Professor made us get into groups of three and had given us sound charts.  At that time we were learning about sounds and the different movements our tongues make when pronouncing it. The activity consisted of showing a classmate the symbol of the sound and he/she had to produce the sound and tell the other classmate which part of the mouth it touched. The class showed me how important language is and how important it is to study language and how to be able to use this knowledge and help people who have language disabilities.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny,

    I still like it, but I'm not clear on why you took out the last paragraph. Can you explain that to me?

    ReplyDelete