Sunday, November 11, 2012

Tutoring Session #1


           My first tutoring session was a nerve wrecking because I didn’t know whom I was going to get and how the session will go.  I called my tutees’ name and directed to the area where we were gong to start the session.  I could see that he was nervous just as I was, so I relaxed and took deep breaths.  I had read his essay beforehand and knew where we had to work.  As soon as he settled in his seat, I told him to read his essay out loud so that he noticed or be aware of the small errors he had done. I thought that the reading out loud strategy was going to be helpful because the tutee would noticed some of the mistakes that he may have done. After reading out loud, he had expressed that he was aware that he had made some poor word choices and that he needed help in that area.  He had also mentioned how he gets nervous when the professor tells him that he has a certain amount of minutes left.  I tried explaining to him that this feeling was completely normal and that he should take deep breaths and try to relax and forget that there is a time limit to complete the essay. 
            His essay had a strong summary of the article and had a good developed a good personal experience regarding the topic of the article.  During the session we were working on his LOC’s and we had a discussion on the importance of including the name of the article in the essay and giving credit to the author when quoting of paraphrasing.  He was aware that he needed to work on these minor mistakes.  After correcting the mistakes on his essay, we worked on developing his introduction where he can practice including the name of the article and author; since this was an area he completely forgot to do in his essay. 
            Overall, the tutoring session went well.  As the session progressed, I started to feel comfortable tutoring and my nervousness started to fade.  I felt confident in helping develop his essay.  My tutee left the session knowing what he had to do next time and knowing  which area he has to develop and work on more. 

1 comment:

  1. So it sounds like you are saying your tutee's main issues are word choice / vocabulary and testing anxiety.

    If those are all, then you may want to give him a chance to practice writing during your session, and see if he freaks out and if you can guide him through dealing with that. If that doesn't seem like the right thing to do when you actually sit down Thursday, then don't do it. But if he needs some coaching about anxiety, it may be helpful if you can at least chat about it a little and work on the power of BREATH!

    ReplyDelete